The family office space is fortunate to be blessed with many well-written books covering a wide range of categories. This page is a repository of my favorite books I have read over many years and countless hours.
In each category, I list my favorites and then a broader list of other resources. I have found that knowing what books are available is often times challenging, especially for older books that may be less readily available or out of print.
- Generation to Generation: Life Cycles of the Family Business by Gersick, Davis, McCollom Hampton, and Lansberg
- Borrowed from Your Grandchildren: The Evolution of 100-Year Family Enterprises by Dennis Jaffe
- Family Wealth – James E. Hughes Jr.
- Wealth in Families – Charles Collier
- Strangers in Paradise: How Families Adapt to Wealth Across Generations by James Grubman, Ph.D.
- Winning the Losers Game by Charles Ellis
- Raised Healthy Wealthy and Wise by Coventry Edwards-Pitt
- Opposite of Spoiled by Ron Lieber
- Generation Impact: How Next Gen Donors Are Revolutionizing Giving by Sharna Goldseker and Michael Moody
- Harvard Business Review Family Business Handbook: How to Build and Sustain a Successful, Enduring Enterprise – Fantastic new addition to the family business literature with a deep dive look at the role of ownership from the team at Banyan Global
Best Books by Category
- Family Office / Family Business
Personal Reading Lists by Year
Each year, I publish a list of my favorite books read, here’s a list going back to 2014.
- 2023 – First Quarter, Second Quarter
- 2022 – First Quarter, Second Quarter, Third Quarter, Fourth Quarter
- 2021 – First Quarter, Second Quarter, Third Quarter ,Fourth Quarter
Join 5,000 other followers of David's thinking and insights