This week’s highlights: A Year Marked by Suffering, Shopify, Vaccine FOMO
- Piercing the Veil of Discomfort Re: Discussing Wealth – A Book Review We Need to Talk: A Memoir Around Wealth is a poignant reflection about the lived reality of wealth – the good and the bad.
- From the Archives: 8 Things Every High School Senior Should Know About College It’s that time of year when college acceptances begin to come out – I wrote this piece over three years ago – but I stand by the recommendations within. Hopefully it is relevant to you or a loved one
Have a great weekend!
Food for Thought
- WPLN – The Disaster Year: A Reporter Reflects On A Year Marked By Suffering – Thanks BB – Nashville celebrated a grim anniversary this week – 1 year since the devastating tornado.
- TheAtlantic – Ultra-fast Fashion Is Eating the World Even a pandemic can’t stop people from buying clothes they don’t need. Americans now buy a piece of clothing every five days, on average.
- NYT – How Investigative Journalism Flourished in Hostile Russia A new wave of news outlets has used conventional, and unconventional, methods to pierce the veil of Putin’s power.
- Guardian – The rich vs the very, very rich: the Wentworth golf club rebellion When a Chinese billionaire bought one of Britain’s most prestigious golf clubs in 2015, dentists and estate agents were confronted with the unsentimental force of globalised capital
- New Yorker – E-mail Is Making Us Miserable In an attempt to work more effectively, we’ve accidentally deployed an inhumane way to collaborate.
- BEvans – Shopify So it is possible to compete with Amazon…
- Acquired – The Complete History and Strategy of The New York Times – Long but fascinating
- WashPo – Clubhouse illuminates the stark cultural divide between journalists and tech people For the past few weeks, I’ve been playing around with a new invitation-only iPhone app called Clubhouse
- RogerMartin – The Motivation for Strategy Untangling the roles of purpose, vision, mission, aspirations, and goals in strategy
- Bain – 2021 Private Equity Report
Culture / Tech / Science
- Vice – How to Deal with Crushing Vaccine FOMO After a long, lonely year, it can be hard to sit around, feeling like everyone you know is getting jabbed without you.
- TAT – First vaccine to fully immunize against malaria builds on pandemic-driven RNA tech
- DB – Shockingly Real Tom Cruise Deepfakes Are Invading TikTok
- JulieNolke – Instagram Models Be Like: Thank goodness for satire to highlight the hypocrisy of modern times
When Anything is Possible – Wealth and the Art of Strategic Living
Wealth is a common byproduct of the pursuit of dreams and success – either yours or a prior generation who shares their success via an inheritance. Yet far too often the first steps we take in managing it are focused on avoiding negative outcomes (unnecessary taxes, estate issues, losses in the stock market), rather than articulating a positive vision of what we actually want to do with our wealth.
The book is about how we shift from focusing on the things we want to avoid, to the things we want to accomplish with our wealth. Doing so requires a person to articulate 3 key items – Wealth Structure, Wealth Identity and ultimately a Wealth Strategy. The book walks through each of these items in great depth, and guides the reader through a process to develop each.
If you are interested in learning more, visit here and download a free chapter. .