Here is a complete run down of what I read during Q2. Note all links are Amazon Affiliate links that pay a modest commission to me (which I use to buy more books)…
- The Last Tycoons: Secret History of Lazard Freres by William Cohan – This was long but interesting
- Lessons from the Titans: What Companies in the New Economy Can Learn from the Great Industrial Giants to Drive Sustainable Success by Scott Davis, Carter Copeland and Rob Wertheimer – This was quite well done and an interesting deep dive on what success looks like today in industrials
- The School of Hard Knocks: The Evolution of Pension Investing at Eastman Kodak by Russell Olson – In many ways a history of the evolution of the modern capital markets
- Do Hard Things: Why We Get Resilience Wrong and the Surprising Science of Real Toughness by Steve Magness – This was excellent. “Toughness has long been held as the key to overcoming a challenge and achieving greatness, whether it is on the sports field, at a boardroom, or at the dining room table. Yet, the prevailing model has promoted a mentality based on fear, false bravado, and hiding any sign of weakness. In other words, the old model of toughness has failed us.”
- Scarcity by Sendhil Mullainathan and Elder Shafir – Excellent – well worth a read – In this provocative book based on cutting-edge research, Sendhil Mullainathan and Eldar Shafir show that scarcity creates a distinct psychology for everyone struggling to manage with less than they need.
- The Power of Moments by Chip Heath and Dan Heath – The Heath’s always write something interesting and entertaining – “While human lives are endlessly variable, our most memorable positive moments are dominated by four elements: elevation, insight, pride, and connection. If we embrace these elements, we can conjure more moments that matter.”
- Science of Story Telling by Will Storr – Some good parts early on, but then kind of fell off into an odd mix of non-fiction/science writing + long excerpts from fiction books the author liked
Theology / Philosophy
- The Soul of Desire: Discovering the Neuroscience of Longing, Beauty, and Community by Curt Thompson – Incredibly thought provoking – In The Soul of Desire, psychiatrist Curt Thompson suggests that underneath all our longings is the desire to be known – and what’s more, that this fundamental yearning manifests itself in our deep need to make things of beauty, revealing who we are to others. Desire and beauty go hand in hand.
- Men of Courage by Larry Crab – An honest reflection on manhood – “Men today have locked horns with their toughest issue: reclaiming the full potential of manhood. Bestselling author Dr. Larry Crabb asks, What gives manhood definition and meaning?”
- Lessons from Lucy by Dave Barry – Barry, as always, humorously considers how to live life well by considering the life of his dog. “As Dave Barry turns seventy—not happily—he realizes that his dog, Lucy, is dealing with old age far better than he is.”
- Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change by Paul David Tripp