This week’s highlights: Mission Statements, Staying Put and Machine Learning
Insanely busy week here with meeting and travel. As such – a lot of links below are podcasts that have been interesting
- FCS – Success Depends on the Mission Statement – Choose Carefully. There are really only 4 possible mission statements for a legacy focused family.
Food for Thought
- Freakonomics – Is the U.S. Really Less Corrupt Than China — and How About Russia? The political scientist Yuen Yuen Ang argues that different forms of government create different styles of corruption.
- Art of Gathering – The Math and the Poetry. How one couple figured out a beautiful structure for their wedding’s cocktail hour.
- CollaborativeFund – Staying Put One I thought about recently after watching a few friends manage their careers is the value of staying put.
- Honestly – Your Attention Didn’t Collapse, It was Stolen. The average American adult spends over three hours a day staring into their phone. If you’re a teenager it’s even worse – seven hours. What’s really troubling is that in study after study, people say that they want to be looking at their screens less. They just don’t know how. They’ve lost control.
Business and Markets
- Matt Levine- What Was Bill Hwang Thinking? Archegos’s stocks went up and then they went down.
- Capital Allocators – Mid-Market Distressed Investing at Marblegate
- Business of Family – Separating the Family Conglomerate After 111 Years. A fascinating interview with a family that decided to amicably part ways
- Acquired – Nvidia: The Machine Learning Company (2006-2022). And then… a miracle happened. A miracle that led not only to Nvidia becoming the 8th largest market cap company in the world, but also nearly every internet and technology innovation that’s happened in the decade since. Machines learned how to learn. And they learned it… on Nvidia.
Science, Technology, and Culture
- TSC – Minimalist Living: 14 Simple Ways To Easily Improve Your Life
- CNN – The world’s skinniest skyscraper is ready for its first residents
- WIP – How Polyester Bounced Back. Somehow, polyester went from being the world’s most hated fabrics to one of its favorites. It reinvented itself thanks to advances in materials science, and did it so successfully that many people don’t even realize they’re wearing polyester today.
- Does how you handle your wealth actually align with what you care most about in the world?
- Do you feel like you are pro-active and intentional with your financial affairs or entirely reactive to a busy world?
Growing financial wealth is a natural occurrence on the path to success. While this should make life easier, that is not always the case. With greater wealth, comes great opportunity and an overwhelming number of choices to make.
When Anything is Possible is the guidebook about how to engage strategically with wealth. It will help you change your wealth from something overwhelming and all-consuming towards a resource to be deployed to help you positively impact the things that you value most.
If you are interested in learning more, visit here and download a free chapter.